Frequently Asked Question
Convert PDF and photo files to text
Last Updated 8 months ago
Prepare the fileThese tips will give you the best results:
- Format: You can convert .JPEG, .PNG, .GIF, or PDF (multipage documents) files.
- File size: The file should be 2 MB or less.
- Resolution: Text should be at least 10 pixels high.
- Orientation: Documents must be right-side up. If your image is facing the wrong way, rotate it before uploading it to Google Drive.
- Languages: Google Drive will detect the language of the document.
- Font and character set: For best results, use common fonts such as Arial or Times New Roman.
- Image quality: Sharp images with even lighting and clear contrasts work best.
Convert an image file
- On your computer, go to drive.google.com.
- Right-click on the desired file.
- Click Open with Google Docs.
- The image file will be converted to a Google Doc, but some formatting might not transfer:
- Bold, italics, font size, font type, and line breaks are most likely to be retained.
- Lists, tables, columns, footnotes, and endnotes are likely not be detected.